Sugar cookies are a staple in our household at Christmas time, although normally only made by my sister and my hubby (as I didn’t think I had the patience) I joined in this year and had a BLAST! One of the great things about this recipe is that it requires no chill time so make sure you have a few ideas in mind for what you want to do in advance so you can buy whatever candies, sprinkles and icing colours you will need.
As for the cookie shapes themselves, you can again do whatever you want! We worked with trees, stockings, stars, gingerbread men and women, snowflakes, mittens etc! You can honestly do anything, my sister even did just a large circle cut out and turned it into a beautiful snow-globe…I mean COME ON!!!!
Cooking Time: 6-8 minutes
Makes: about 3 dozen (depending on cutters you use)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- For the icing
- 3 tbsp meringue powder
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 5 tbsp warm water (more if needed for consistency)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in extracts and the egg.
- In a separate bowl sift together your baking powder and flour. Add a little bit at a time to your wet ingredients. Mix until almost all combined.
- Finish kneading dough with wet hands and divide into workable batches.
- Roll out on a floured surface and cut with desired shapes (about 1/4″ thick)
- Bake at 350 for about 6-8 minutes (until edges are very light golden brown) allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks.
- Prepare icing
- Beat all ingredients until icing forms peaks (7mins on low speed) add more warm water as needed for the consistency you like to work with!
- Ice, decorate and enjoy!
Here are some of the photos of our cookies for ya’ll to enjoy!
And for the gift ideas today…let’s look at a couple of gift ideas for your boss…Ick! This is never an easy one, in fact most years I just bring in a big tray of cookies for everyone to enjoy as I don’t like to get something just for my boss! But if you have a special one whom you’d like to buy for, these ideas are for you!
- Do you work in an office setting? Why not get your boss something they can keep there (as they probably have enough stuff at home!). You can grab a great desk organizer in a fun colour or pattern to help them keep their desk uncluttered!
- Would you prefer something a little less “Work” related? Ok…what about a nice bottle of perfume or colonge, one that doesn’t knock the office staff off their chairs, but is a subtle scent!
- Are they a foodie or wine lover? You can get a gift basket made for them, or make one yourself! Be sure to include a couple of their favourites along with some new things they maybe wouldn’t otherwise try.
- Another great idea is a mini desk calendar (or full size if you prefer) they have so many fun ones now you can really tailor to their taste! They have ones with inspirational or funny quotes, and you can even get one with their favourite animal or celebrity!
- Lastly, you can grab a great little hand cream set from their favourite bath store! This is a great idea for anyone who works with their hands, and is a thoughtful way for them to take a couple minutes to pamper themselves at work!