Who doesn’t revert back to their childhood when they see a lump of cake on a lollipop stick? I just love cake pops, everything about them! My version is easy, using a few cheats, and decorating can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be!
Makes: 30-34 cake pops
Time: baking time varies, about 1 hour to decorate
- Boxed cake mix (whatever flavour you want) you will generally need eggs, oil and water to go with it!
- Container of store bought frosting
- For both the cake mix and frosting I tend to go with Betty Crocker as I don’t find them overly sweet and the cakes turn out nice and fluffy
- Aprox. 3c of chocolate melting wafers
- Tip* you can buy the white ones and use food colouring to get your desired colour
- 1 package of lollipop sticks (I use the 6″ ones)
- Prepare cake mix according to directions on the box, cook until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow cake to cool (about 20 mins) to speed up the process I take a fork and break the cake apart…don’t worry you don’t need it in one piece for cake pops!
- Once cooled, add crumbled cake to stand mixer with 2-3 tbsp of the frosting. Mix on low speed until combined and “moist” looking. The cake mix should stick together (see photo below!)
- Over a double-boiler you will want to melt about 1/3 c of your chocolate wafers (you will use this for the first step, inserting your sticks into the cake balls).
- While your chocolate is melting, take small pinches of the cake and roll by hand into small balls, set aside on baking sheet.
- Dip your lollipop stick into the chocolate and then into each cake ball, being careful to hold in place until it stays and the ball doesn’t roll around your baking sheet.
- Once all cake balls have their sticks inserted you will want to put them in the fridge to harden up. I normally leave them for 30 minutes before taking them back out.
- Melt the remainder of your chocolate and get ready for the fun part!
- Start by dipping the entire cake ball into the chocolate, let it drip off on the side of the bowl before doing a second dip (This is only needed if you can see the cake through the chocolate).
- This is where you want your cake pop stand!! Stand the cake pops upright to drip and dry, placing them back in the fridge when your stand is full.
- You can stop there if you want one colour or allow them to cool before drizzling with a second chocolate colour!
- ENJOY ❤