This dish is so easy to make and is SURE to be a hit with your family! Incorporating the deep flavours of the brussel sprouts (they are like mini cabbages if you have never had them) with the saltiness of the pancetta creates a savoury side with the perfect texture! It pairs well with chicken, pork, beef or fish, which makes it a versatile dish for any occasion.
- 2-3 lbs of fresh or frozen brussel sprouts
- I know you may be wondering why I say frozen! Well let me tell you! If you are fortunate enough to find these guys in the frozen aisle and marked “tender or young” you are going to want to use these! It eliminates the need to peel off the tough outer leaves and cut the stems…the work is done for you!
- 4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped pancetta (you can get it sliced at your deli and chop at home)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a medium skillet heat your butter and olive oil over medium-high heat
- Add in your sliced garlic and stir constantly until slightly sauteed (but not brown) you will begin to smell the garlic as it breaks down
- Add in your pancetta and swirl around the pan a couple of time to start the flavour breakdown
- Lastly, add in your brussel sprouts. Stir to incorporate the flavours and reduce heat to medium-low
- Depending on if you are using fresh or frozen your times here will change. Cook the sprouts through until hot with a slight browning to the outer leaves (you will notice they look more “wilted”) that is when they are done!
This is the stage you want the garlic to be at when adding the pancetta
You can see I used those “tender” brussel sprouts (frozen). Here they are mixing into a sweet melody with the rest of the ingredients!