Enjoy this super simple, very tasty toffee bar that you’ll have ready in no time!! I have two “tips” when making this one! First, do not use dark brown sugar! I find that it crystallizes too easily and doesn’t have the same flavour as the golden brown sugar. Second, make sure you WATCH these guys when they are in the oven! You can burn them so easily if you walk away and let them go too long!
Cooking time: under 10 minutes (+Chill time)
Makes: 1 baking sheet of toffee (broken into chunks)
- 1 sleeve of saltine crackers
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F , line your baking sheet with parchment paper (enough to leave a slight overhang on the edges)
- Line your baking sheet with the crackers in a single layer, enough to fill the tray
- In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar with the butter bringing to a boil. Let boil about 2 minutes and pour over your crackers to cover.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes and remove from oven. Sprinkle with the chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Using a spreader, pull the chocolate over the crackers in a nice even layer. Sprinkle with pecans and allow to cool completely before breaking into chunks!
How easy was that?! You can even get a little festive and add some sprinkles or red and green chocolate pieces.
And for today’s list? Why not a few ideas for Stocking Stuffers (for women today)! I love stockings, they are probably my favourite part of Christmas giving!
- Gum, mints, candies (anything you know they can throw in their purse or car to take with them for a little treat!)
- Nail polish/files, you can never have too many colours to choose from, and we all know how frustrating it is to break a nail and not have anything to file it with!
- Scarf and not just a typical cable knit that you see at this time of year! Spruce it up a little and grab a nice fabric or silk one to throw in for her!
- Mini hand cream, sanitizer and body spray, this is a fantastic idea for every woman/girl on your stocking list! Go to their favourite bath store and see if they sell minis of the fragrance they wear so they can carry it around all day to freshen up!
- Useful items, like shampoo, body wash, loofa etc! I love getting these in my stocking as I am normally running low during the holiday season and forget to put it on my list!
- CDs of her favourite artist. This is an easy one, and can even be an artist she used to love (bringing back old memories!).
- Bobby pins/hair ties etc, this is again something that we can NEVER have enough of! (I am constantly loosing mine!)
- How about a new lunch bag, something for her to bring to work that makes a fashion statement at the same time! Plus, it’ll be easier to tell hers apart from the other 10 red ones in the fridge!